For many, web design is a dream job. It pays well when you know how to market yourself and the work is plain fun. However, like with many jobs, things can go wrong for a number of reasons. The hosting service that you subcontracted to host your client's website may go offline during a critical time when the client gets most of his annual online sales. If you are using a well-known content management system, then it's a prime target for hackers. If just one of them gets through and takes your client's sensitive data (such as the credit card numbers of his customers), you could be held at fault.
Sometimes problems arise when your client's expectations aren't in line with what you promised to deliver. Upgrading a website doesn't guaranty more web traffic or more business. However, that doesn't mean a client won't hold you at fault for not meeting his expectations. This is not as ridiculous as it sounds because if your clientele is comprised of small businesses with very little online experience, their assumptions can be far off the mark.
Not being insured against potential litigation from dissatisfied clients places your financial well-being at risk. Even a successful defense entails legal costs. Mitigating the financial consequences of this type of risk is the purpose of professional liability insurance. It protects you when you are sued for mistakes or omissions on your part.
Professional Liability Insurance Coverage:
- Damages resulting from your own omissions or mistakes.
- Damages from the omissions or mistakes of temporary staff and subcontractors (such as a web hosting service).
- Legal defense costs against real or alleged errors or omissions. It doesn't matter whether the charges are real or baseless, you are covered.
- Damages from copyright infringement. This includes content, graphics, photos, videos, logos and software infringements.
- Damages from libel or slander.
- Claims from services provided to past clients up to a certain retroactive date.
Protect yourself, your business and your family from financial ruin by getting professional liability insurance. An added benefit is that it improves your professional credibility and having it may land you more clients. Contact an insurance agent today for more information.
Protect your business’ interests. Call Northside Insurance Agency at (813) 960-5225 for more information on Tampa professional liability insurance.